Jockey Club STEPS Project
The project is ended on 1 September 2023.
Background and Objectives
Funded by The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust, Jockey Club STEPS Project is organised by Hong Kong Christian Service, HKSKH Lady MacLehose Centre and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. With a pioneering home-school-community evidence-based model, the three-year project aims to foster a quality and pleasurable Chinese-learning environment for non-Chinese primary students ; to enhance their social competence and learning capability of culturally diversity so that better transition and early integration can be achieved.
The three-year pilot project launched in September 2020 to achieve the following objectives:
- Providing comprehensive support for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students and their parents to create a positive learning experience
- Enhancing professional development of primary school teachers to build stronger foundations for supporting NCS students in learning Chinese
- Promoting cross-cultural sharing among different ethnic groups, enhancing mutual understanding and achieving social inclusion ultimately
- Transition and adaptation programmes for students
- Enhancing professional knowledge, skills and efficacy of teachers in teaching Chinese
- Multicultural education and social inclusion activities for Chinese Speaking and NCS students
- Providing training for parents to support Chinese learning and school adaption for their children
- Parent College and Parent Learning Circles
- Cross-cultural activities
- Community-based Chinese learning programmes
Non-Chinese primary students (P.1 – P.3) who are studying at the network primary schools of the project and their families